Student Services » Health Services

Health Services

Medication Administration at School

The California Education Code states that any student who is required to take medication prescribed by a physician during the regular school day, may be assisted by the school nurse or other designated school personnel if the district receives: (1.) a written statement from the physician detailing the method, amount and time schedules that the medication is to be taken and (2.) a written statement from the student’s parent/guardian authorizing the school district to administer the medication. (E.C. 49422, 49423)

Pre-Kindergarten Immunizations

Immunizations (shots) needed before starting pre-kindergarten (child care) and at each age checkpoint after entry:

*One Hib dose must be given on or after the 1st birthday regardless of previous doses. Required only for children younger than 5 years old. 

DTaP = diphtheria toxoid, tetanus toxoid, and acellular pertussis vaccine 
Hib = Haemophilus influenzae, type B vaccine 
Hep B = hepatitis B vaccine 
MMR = measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine 
Varicella = chickenpox vaccine 

Parents must show their child's Immunization Record as proof of immunization. 




State law requires that all students under age 18 years, TK through grade 12, be immunized against certain diseases unless they are exempt for medical reasons. At the time of registration, the school is required to have proof that your child has received all currently due immunizations.


Check with your pediatrician, family physician, or medical clinic to make sure your child is fully immunized. Your child may be excluded from attending school if these requirements are not met. 


Parents may review the G​uide to Immunization Requirements for K-12th Grade | Spanish​ See Exemptions FAQs for more information.


Immunization Medical Exemptions
For admissions on or after January 1, 2021, what is required for a medical exemption to a required immunization?
  • Medical exemptions can only be issued through the California Immunization Registry – Medical Exemption website (CAIR-ME) by physicians licensed in California. 
  • Schools and child care facilities may only accept from parents new medical exemptions that are issued using CAIR-ME
Are medical exemptions filed for children in attendance at a California child care facility or school before 2021 valid in later years?

A medical exemption filed at a pre-kindergarten facility or school remains valid until the earliest of:

  • When the child enrolls in the next grade span (TK/K-6th grade, 7th-12th grade)
  • The expiration date specified in a temporary medical exemption
  • Revocation of the exemption because the issuing physician has been subject to disciplinary action from the physician’s licensing entity
A doctor has told a child’s parents that their child needs a medical exemption from a required immunization. How do parents get a medical exemption for their child?
Starting January 1, 2021, all new medical exemptions for school and child care entry must be issued through CAIR-ME.  Parents can create an account and log in to CAIR-ME to submit a request for a medical exemption.  Next, the child’s doctor can complete the medical exemption in CAIR-ME and print a copy for the parents to give to the child’s school or child care facility.